I am a first-time parent of a young child. What is the one thing I must do now to ensure the success of my child?
Interesting question, and a very common one for first-time parents. I asked the same question over twenty years ago. Obviously, the most common answer is "it depends" but after seeing some success with 2 kids going to the top 10 universities in the world (and speaking to countless parents with the same experience), I probably can answer this with a reasonable confidence that it is the correct answer.
The answer: read to your child.
To many, this a pretty obvious answer, but knowing does not equal to doing. When I say read to your child, it means to do this on a regular basis and to set up a cadence for doing this for years. For me, it starts with 5 minutes at first and then extend this to 10 minutes, then 15 minutes and then even for 30 minutes. As your child progresses, you can then point to the word and have your child repeat what you have read. There will come a day, when yoru child will read the word before you can...and yes, your child can read.
Next question: is there a best time to do the reading?
This is a "yes" and not because I know so (plus many other parents who may have the same experience). In a study by the School of Psychology at the University of Sussex, it was found that reading before naptime or sleep help facilitates memory consolidation and aids learning. In the same study, it ws stated that shared storybook reading also helps young children learn vocabulary and promotes later academic success.
So, there you have it...if you want your child to do well - read to your child before bedtime.
Yes, it is that simple.
